Welcome to Class 1
We are looking forward to a wonderful year of fun and learning with you. Below is some information that might be useful to you.
Our Foundation Setting is a bright and cheerful purpose-built facility with its own cloakroom and toilets, large open-plan room ,”chill-out” room, staff office, covered play area and an enclosed garden. During the day, the classroom and garden are set up with a variety of activities that children can participate in freely. The open-plan room is divided into a number of special-purpose areas such as:
- reading areas
- a writing area
- a creative area
- a construction area
- a home corner
- a maths area
- display areas for children’s work, books, natural objects, etc.
- tables for games, puzzles, cooking, etc.
We place great emphasis on our garden and outdoor area, where the children’s learning is enriched by a wide range of equipment and facilities such as:
- a large covered sandpit
- climbing frames and slides
- mud kitchen
- sand and water
- hoops, tyres, bicycles and balls
- dressing-up clothes
- large wooden bricks
- prams, pushchairs and trolleys
- wooden playhouse
- large chalkboards
Many of the Foundation activities are versatile with respect to the weather, and can take place both inside and outside. There may be constructive play indoors on the carpets or outside on tables. We often have painting or printing activities taking place outside. Aside from organised activities, the children always have the opportunity, come rain or shine, to stretch their legs and play outside. To find out more about the Foundation Stage click on the link below http://www.foundationyears.org.uk
Expectations of our class:
We expect children to have fun learning at school and we will help them on their way to becoming independent learners.
It’s helpful if the children can do the following:
- Enjoy listening to a short story
- Put on and take off their shoes and socks independently
- Hold a pencil to make marks
- Put on and take off a coat independently
- Manage their own toileting skills
Highlights of the year:
- Developing into readers and writers
- Becoming motivated and independent learners
- Taking part in a Harvest performance
- Enjoying books in our new quiet reading area
- Performing in a nativity play
- Summer Maypole dancing
Key lines of enquiry in our class:
- What makes me special?
- Who is afraid of the big bad wolf?
- What is it like in other places?
- What do animals eat?
- Are plants alive?
- How do I get there if I don’t have a car?
- What happens at the beach?
- Chinese New Year